Monday, October 21, 2013

recipe; pecan pie


This weekend I made a pecan pie for the first time. All week I kept seeing pictures on Pinterest and Tumblr of pies. It gave me a major craving for pecan pie. Until last year I had never eaten pecan pie but it's since become my second favorite pie, after pumpkin, of course. I was a little nervous about making this pie because I don't have a ton of experience with pie baking. That didn't stop Adrian and I wanting to open a pie shop a few years ago. Too much Pushing Daisies, I guess. :p  This recipe is slightly adapted from GimmeSomeOven.


Pecan Pie
1 9" frozen pie crust (or homemade if you have the time, which I did not).
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups pecans


Preheat oven to 350 F. I kept my frozen pie crust in the freezer until about 10 minutes before baking. My kitchen was really hot at the time and I didn't want it to get too soft.

In a bowl whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Beat eggs and then mix into sugar batter until smooth.
 Melt butter in a pan over medium heat for until melted and starting to brown. Pour butter and cinnamon into the sugar mixture and mix until combined. Chop half of the pecans and set the rest aside. Add the chopped pecans to the filling and then pour into pie crust. Place the remaining pecans on top of the pie.
Bake for 60 minutes. Check the pie at about 50 minutes into baking. If the filling is set and the crust is golden brown, you can removie the pie from the oven. Cool completely before serving, about 3 hours.

Make sure you don't skip the cooling part. We got a little antsy and cut our pie a little too early. It was still awesome, but definitely not fully set.

After making this pie I'm starting to like the pie shop idea again. Pie making is so much fun! I'm going to try to make some more pies in the upcoming months. Any pie suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment