Thursday, July 25, 2013

recipe; baked chicken & veggies

This recipe isn't anything new or life changing, but it's one of my go to's whenever I have the ingredients on hand. This is something I would make a lot when Adrian and I were living with my sister. Adrian worked a different schedule than Nicole and I so it was always best to make something I could easily reheat or keep warm. And Nicole looooves potatoes.

I'm so used to cooking for just the three of us (Nicole had very similar tastes to mine and Adrian would eat whatever I made), so ever since we moved in with his family cooking can be a bit challenging. Their tastes are pretty different to mine, especially coming from very different backgrounds. I come from a family where my mom would cook the same 3-4 meals every week, usually chicken or pot roast. Then you have Adrian's family coming from Mexican culture and using lots of different spicy spices (which I can't handle) and other food that I'm not used to. So whenever I cook for the family it always makes me super nervous that they won't like it.

One major difference I've noticed is that they rarely cook anything in the oven, whereas I cook a majority of my food in the oven. We definitely had to buy some new baking dishes when we moved in. :P


4 large chicken breasts, 6 medium potatoes, 1/2 a large white onion, 4 celery stalks

1 tbsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt , 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. dried parsley, 1 small lime , and olive oil.

*you can also add other vegetables like carrots, zucchini, or peppers.


Begin by mixing all spices together in a bowl. Chop potatoes, onions, and celery in a medium dice and place in deep pan, toss with oil and half of the spice mixture. Squeeze the juice of half the lime all over the vegetables.


Place the chicken breasts on a foil covered pan and drizzle with olive oil and the second half of the lime. Sprinkle the remaining spice mixture all over the chicken. 


 Bake chicken and vegetables at 375 F for 55-65 minutes (or until fully cooked, ovens vary), feeds 4-5 adults.
 Serve with some toasted bread and butter, enjoy!*


*I meant to take a picture once the meal was complete, but everyone ate too fast. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment