Monday, September 15, 2014

Book Review; Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


I read Gone Girl in two days after it was recommended to me by my sister. Before I get into my review I just have to say that this book is one of my favorite books I've read all year. Warning: Possible spoilers ahead.

First, a summary (from goodreads.com):
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

I had, kind of, vaguely heard about this book a while ago after hearing about it becoming a movie.I think I even watched the trailer at one point. However, when my sister was telling me about it a few days ago all I remembered about it was that it was about a missing woman and Ben Affleck was in the movie. ha. Let me tell you now, this is not just a run of the mill 'wife goes missing' book. From the beginning to the end I was so excited to find out what was happening. There was so much happening and such an amazing twist. The whole time I was reading it I was sending my sister text messages with my reaction to everything, it was fun. Like the summary above says, the perspective goes back and forth between Nick and what is going on right now and Amy's diary entries from when they first met up until present time. I loved this about the book. It was so interesting reading their different points of view on moments in their lives as they were happening and looking back on them, in Nick's case. If you love mystery, murder, and crazy twists that you may or may not have seen coming this is the book for you. Really, though, I recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's just that good. Read it right now!!

I'm so happy this is being turned into a movie and I am very interested to see how they go about doing everything. And the casting is perfect, in my opinion!

Major spoilers below...


I couldn't believe how completely unlikable Nick was. I seriously couldn't tell you one redeemable quality about the character. Whether we found out he murdered her or not I just knew that nothing would change my very low opinion on him and I was right. He was getting framed for murder, in a state with the death penalty, and I still felt little to no sympathy for him. I don't know if I was supposed to dislike him that much. I mean, I know a lot of reasons he is the way he is and I know that a lot of the stuff that made me hate him (from Amy's fake diary) didn't actually happen. Even so, I couldn't shake it. I hated him.

On the flip side I loved Amy. Both Amy's. I think one of the saddest parts of the book for me was when you find out that the 'Amy' from the diaries was almost completely made up. She was just so damn likable, which was the point. Even after finding out that 'Amazing Amy' was a batshit crazy mess I still loved her. I was even kind of rooting for her. :/ Does that make me a terrible person? Maybe..

I did not guess that Amy was alive and framing Nick from the start, but I did guess later that she would return home and they would end up together. Whether he liked it or not. That or I thought she'd come home and, ironically, he'd end up actually murdering her.












No comments:

Post a Comment