Saturday, October 5, 2013

halloween movies; week 1

At the end of each week during October I will share the movies I've watched that week. My goal is to watch at least 31 horror, or really anything scary or Halloween related, movies in October. Warning, there will be spoilers for the movies I'm watching in these posts.

During the first week of October I watched Practical Magic, Rear Window, Rosemary's Baby, The Conjuring, Curse of Chucky and Coraline. Out of these six movies The Conjuring  and Curse of Chucky are  the only ones I watched for the first time.

Practical Magic (1998) 
Starring: Sandra Bullock & Nicole Kidman

Plot Summary | Sally and Gillian Owens have always known they were different. Raised by their aunts after their parents' death, the sisters grew up in a household that was anything but typical--their aunts fed them chocolate cake for breakfast and taught them the uses of practical magic. But the invocation of the Owens' sorcery also carries a price--some call it a curse: the men they fall in love with are doomed to an untimely death. Now adult women with very different personalities, the quiet Sally and the fiery Gillian must use all of their powers to fight the family curse and a swarm of supernatural forces that threatens the lives of all the Owens women.


Rear Window (1954)
Starring: James Stewart & Grace Kelly

Plot Summary | Professional photographer L.B. "Jeff" Jeffries breaks his leg while getting an action shot at an auto race. Confined to his New York apartment, he spends his time looking out of the rear window observing the neighbors. He begins to suspect that a man across the courtyard may have murdered his wife. Jeff enlists the help of his high society fashion-consultant girlfriend Lisa Freemont and his visiting nurse Stella to investigate.


Coraline (2009)
Starring: Dakota Fanning &Teri Hatcher

Plot Summary | A young girl walks through a secret door in her new home and discovers an alternate version of her life. On the surface, this parallel reality is eerily similar to her real life - only much better. But when her adventure turns dangerous, and her counterfeit parents try to keep her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness, determination, and bravery to get back home - and save her family.


Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Starring: Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes, Ruth Gordon, & Sidney Blackmer

Plot Summary | A young couple move into a new apartment, only to be surrounded by peculiar neighbors and occurrences. When the wife becomes mysteriously pregnant, paranoia over the safety of her unborn child begins controlling her life.


Curse of Chucky (2013)
Starring: Fiona Dourif, Danielle Bisutti, Brennan Elliott, Maitland McConnell, and Brad Dourif.

Plot Summary | After the passing of her mother, a young woman in a wheelchair since birth, is forced to deal with her sister, brother-in-law, niece and their nanny as they say their goodbyes to mother. When people start turning up dead, Nica discovers the culprit might be a strange doll she received a few days earlier.

The Conjuring (2013)
Starring: Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Ron Livingston, & Lili Taylor.


Plot Summary | In 1971, Carolyn and Roger Perron move their family into a dilapidated Rhode Island farm house and soon strange things start happening around it with escalating nightmarish terror. In desperation, Carolyn contacts the noted paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, to examine the house. What the Warrens discover is a whole area steeped in a satanic haunting that is now targeting the Perron family wherever they go. To stop this evil, the Warrens will have to call upon all their skills and spiritual strength to defeat this spectral menace at its source that threatens to destroy everyone involved.



Possession movies are probably the most scary movies for me. I don't really know why that is, but they are. I actually hadn't heard much about this movie, and I definitely didn't know it was about possession, but as I am a fan of Insidious and the first Saw movie I knew going in that I was probably going to like it. It also doesn't hurt that I love 3 out of 4 of the main cast (Vera, Patrick, and Ron). Most of the major scares come in the last 1/4 of the movie and the visuals will definitely stay with me. That being said, it wasn't the greatest horror movie I've ever seen, the ending could have been better, but it's worth checking out. I think I have too vivid of an imagination for scary movies. I don't know why I put myself through this. Only 26 more to go!


This is going to be harder than I thought, as I have a really busy couple of weeks coming up. I'm going to try really hard though. Especially because I genuinely like and want to watch these movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment